пятница, мая 06, 2005

The Media.

I was never into Sex and the City but have recently become hooked due to TBS. I only started watching the show from the fifth season on and the changes in the characters and their attitudes are so dramatic. In a sense its good because they're all settled and everything works out. But I feel like the show is copping out. I think the show attracted a lot of women (of various ages) because they could relate to the characters and the fact that none of them were in a stable relationship of any kind (except with each other and their gay male counterparts). To me, it sent out the message that "even though coupledom is everywhere in today's media its ok to be single and search". And then all of them had to go and and find their life partners. What message does that send to those who won't ever find a spouse/life partner? I'd like to think that there is someone for everyone but the reality of the situation is that that probably isn't the case. I understand that the show was ending and they needed to provide closure and leave everybody with a warm feeling inside but I feel like the writers of the show went against what they'd spent 6 years creating.

While these thoughts have been in my head for sometime now I felt like writing about it because I came across this woman's blog and she's comparing her life to Bridget Jones's life. And she's drawing similarities between herself and this fictious character. She finds many parallels and then there is one glaring difference. Bridget found her man, Mr. Darcy and bloglady is still looking for her Mr. Darcy. I know reality isn't always fun and exciting but I can't believe the media has shaped all of our minds to believe that everyone's life must follow a set path: the path to happiness which can only be achieved though a man. Why can't our minds be shaped to believe the path to happiness is through an illustrious career or whatever we choose it to be?

I get that finding someone to marry/commit to is a natural part of life and humans are meant to procreate but I don't think finding that person means guaranteed happiness. I think there should be more to life than finding "that person". And I don't like how the media makes people (mostly young children) believe that the only purpose in life is to find someone to marry.

Комментариев нет: